On 12-Sep-18 12:20 AM, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 09/10/2018 11:02 PM, Baris Erkus wrote:
On 9/9/2018 4:15 AM, Peter Taylor wrote:
Hi,

I have upgraded MiKTeX relatively recently – I don’t want to upgrade again if I
don’t have to upgrade – so please could you update your webpage which says:

(start quote)

Due to a bug in MiKTeX, installation of LyX 2.3.0 can sometimes cause the
MiKTeX installation to be corrupted. (See
https://github.com/MiKTeX/miktex/issues/82.) If you run into problems, the
solution will be to uninstall MiKTeX and then re-install.

We highly recommend that MiKTeX users update to the latest version before
installing LyX 2.3.0. If you have any questions about how to update MiKTeX, you
can email lyx-users@lists.lyx.org<mailto:lyx-users@lists.lyx.org> for help.
(You do not need to be subscribed to the mailing list to do so, but you may
wish to do that anyway. See this page<https://www.lyx.org/MailingLists#toc2>
for information on subscribing.)
(end quote)

This information does not mention specific versions – just says “latest version
of MiKTeX”. My MiKTeX console window tells me it is version 2.9.6751.

I am actually using another TeX editor which works fine for me but I want to
collaborate with a colleague and I heard that LyX might be an easier editor for
him to use on shared documents. Before doing that I want to check that LyX is
something I can recommend to him.

However seeing this message on your website has made me reluctant to try out
LyX in case my MiKTeX installation gets corrupted.

Regards,
Peter

Hello,

I am trying to follow the conversation(s) regarding the MikTeX issues. I have
just observed from the MikTeX web page that MikTeX has gone through some major
changes. I do not know exactly when these changes occurred, so some of them may
have been there for a while. The major changes are:

  *   A completely new GUI have been implemented.
  *   MikTeX was originally for Windows. Now it can be installed on Mac and
Linux.
  *   It can be rollout to a group of computers.
  *   It an be installed through a  Docker container.
  *   The concept of "scalable TeX (minimalist TeX, install-on-the-fly TeX)"
has been introduced.
  *   May be some other changes...

This suggests that the author of MikTeX is putting a big effort into it and
changes it constantly. This is quite opposite of what conventional TeX systems
does (at least this is what I have been observing). Systems like TeXLive
publish major versions with larger periods of time and do not update the system
in a continuous manner, which provides robustness to the TeX system and avoids
surprises. Further, MikTeX is more prone to failures and issues due to this
reason.

Just by considering all these changes to MikTeX, I would say it is quite normal
for LyX users having issues with MikTeX all the time since it changes, being
updated, modified frequently. It would be really difficult for LyX developers
to follow all these changes and provide a LyX setup that is compatible with
these changes.

Particularly, the concept of minimalist TeX may be an issue. When I installed
the latest version of LyX, I observed that MikTeX was updating some packages
online. So, the MikTeX was updating itself from within the LyX installation.
This sort of installation approach may be a problem for LyX if a problem occurs
with the MikTeX update during the LyX installation. Luckily, I did not have
issues in my case, since I keep the full TeX system on my computer (about 6
GB), even tough MikTeX switched to a minimalist version without telling me.

In conclusion, It would be more surprise-free to use a more stable and
"not-constantly-being-updated" TeX system -such as TeXLive- along with LyX
rather than MikTeX. Otherwise there should be another Lyx-specific-minimalist
MikTeX system available on the PC of the user not to have major issuesö and the
user should not update MikTeX frequently.

That is certainly the sort of problem we've had here at LyX. There have been
more than a few times that releases were delayed due to these kinds of issues.
So we're making an effort, at least, to disentangle LyX from MiKTeX, so that we
don't feel like we have to fix or work around MiKTeX bugs in our own releases.
The first step in that direction is to terminate the production of the
'bundled' installer.

Riki

Hello Again;

This is a tough one. I think the target audience and intended scope is also
important.

If the intention is more like a complete WYSIWYG software package (or bundle)
allowing users to produce documents right after installation without much
hassle of Tex and other setups and preventing them from dealing with low-level
Latex programming, it would be more reasonable to develop LyX as a
bundle/package of LyX Frontend+TeX system+misc components. This would make the
bundle more predictable and manageable if the components of the package are
package-specific and they are developed specifically for the package. In this
case, the TeX system should be customized by the LyX developers and should not
be allowed to be updated by a third party software. This is the approach taken
by Scientific Workplace and Bakoma, I guess.

If the intention is develop only a powerful frontend that allows users to
juggle around the TeX system, to do their own customization, allow different
TeX systems to be used  (and let the TeX developers to do job of developing TeX
systems) and even maybe allow users install their own addons and functions to
LyX, then LyX should have a module that can communicate with different TeX
systems efficiently and should be immune to changes and updates in the TeX
system.

In my opinion, it is just not feasible/meaningful to achieve these two
different-and conflicting-by-nature intentions at the same time. One of them
should be chosen. My preference is the second approach since one can never
avoid a certain level of low-level intervention when dealing with LaTeX even if
the first time users(!). Eventually every single user of LyX goes to SE,
mailing list or other resources to achieve a specific thing.  One can probably
develop beautiful documents if well-defined styles and classes are used, but if
you want something just a little bit different, then you need to get into latex
and sources such as SE. In my case, this always happened to be the case. So, I
did not make investment into Scientific Workplace or Bakoma. I prefer LyX.

Anyhow, I again want to thank to everyone, who put a big effort into
development of LyX no matter what direction is to be taken.

Baris