On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 9:10 PM Richard Kimberly Heck <rikih...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On 9/14/18 2:38 AM, Baris Erkus wrote:
> > If the intention is more like a complete WYSIWYG software package (or
> > bundle) allowing users to produce documents right after installation
> > without much hassle of Tex and other setups and preventing them from
> > dealing with low-level Latex programming, it would be more reasonable
> > to develop LyX as a bundle/package of LyX Frontend+TeX system+misc
> > components. This would make the bundle more predictable and manageable
> > if the components of the package are package-specific and they are
> > developed specifically for the package. In this case, the TeX system
> > should be customized by the LyX developers and should not be allowed
> > to be updated by a third party software. This is the approach taken by
> > Scientific Workplace and Bakoma, I guess.
> >
> > If the intention is develop only a powerful frontend that allows users
> > to juggle around the TeX system, to do their own customization, allow
> > different TeX systems to be used  (and let the TeX developers to do
> > job of developing TeX systems) and even maybe allow users install
> > their own addons and functions to LyX, then LyX should have a module
> > that can communicate with different TeX systems efficiently and should
> > be immune to changes and updates in the TeX system.

This was a great thread last month and I'm sorry I did not add this back then.

1. We changed over to TeXLive on Windows systems and encourage all LyX
users here to do the same.  It seemed as though every time we had a
workshop, the MiKTeX users were chronically locked up by the failure
to get the packages installed. It is much easier to take the "one
giant distribution" and install it. (https://crmda.ku.edu/latex-help)

The only critical flaw in TeXLive we have encountered is that it does
not include texi2pdf. Because of that absence, the R team is still
devoted to MikTeX as a part of the tool chain to build/use R for
windows. I spent a while trying to figure out how to compile texi2pdf
on Windows and gave up. (It appears to me the efforts to make open
source things work on windows are fraught with danger. The Windows
test system here has 5 or 6 different Cygwin-based installations and
the path is a tangled web of incompatible libraries and executables.
Sorry, that's just a Unix guy in foreign territory whining.)

There is one LaTeX distribution project worth tracking in this vein.
Yihui Xie, who LyX users will remember as an important contributor in
LyX support for Sweave and knitr, offers an R package "tinytex"
(https://yihui.name/tinytex/).  It is a MikTeX-style alternative
distribution based on TeXlive.  Although I gave up with the "on demand
package installation" idea  for LyX/MikTeX, I also would not bet
against this new thing.  The creator has been wildly successful in
ways that, frankly, I thought were impossible.

But, honestly, for the absolute beginner, the simplest thing is to
just install LaTeX  everything: TeXLive!  A 2GB download is feasible
for almost everybody these days.  Disk space is cheap and not too many
of us are running LaTeX in our cell phones.

2. I wrote a help page called "How to Cheat on your LaTeX Homework: A
Beginner's Guide to LyX and LaTeX" and has the theme of the earlier
posts in this tread. We offer workshops with that idea. I agree with
the idea that one of LyX's best contributions is the Code view window.

I prefer to write with LyX, but sometimes my team members are hard
core "raw" LaTeX users and I have to go with that. Also, we have more
demand to write documents with R markdown.  I keep LyX open so I can
remember "how did LyX turn a table sideways" or how did they get a
table to have borders and joined cells "just so." Without LyX, I find
it is much more error prone to make he layout just right.  I end up
Googling and finding incorrect answers from strangers.There are too
many people that are willing to offer advice that is based on
incorrect code or outmoded and unusual packages.   And, once you
follow the badly thought-out advice of an isolated individual in the
internet, you are in a world of hurt.  Almost all of the time, the
LaTeX code that LyX prepares is accurate and understandable in the
"raw" LaTeX document we write.

Best regards
pj

--