On 15-Sep-18 5:10 AM, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> On 9/14/18 2:38 AM, Baris Erkus wrote:
>> If the intention is more like a complete WYSIWYG software package (or
>> bundle) allowing users to produce documents right after installation
>> without much hassle of Tex and other setups and preventing them from
>> dealing with low-level Latex programming, it would be more reasonable
>> to develop LyX as a bundle/package of LyX Frontend+TeX system+misc
>> components. This would make the bundle more predictable and manageable
>> if the components of the package are package-specific and they are
>> developed specifically for the package. In this case, the TeX system
>> should be customized by the LyX developers and should not be allowed
>> to be updated by a third party software. This is the approach taken by
>> Scientific Workplace and Bakoma, I guess.
>>
>> If the intention is develop only a powerful frontend that allows users
>> to juggle around the TeX system, to do their own customization, allow
>> different TeX systems to be used  (and let the TeX developers to do
>> job of developing TeX systems) and even maybe allow users install
>> their own addons and functions to LyX, then LyX should have a module
>> that can communicate with different TeX systems efficiently and should
>> be immune to changes and updates in the TeX system.
>>
>> In my opinion, it is just not feasible/meaningful to achieve these two
>> different-and conflicting-by-nature intentions at the same time.
> Unfortunately, my own sense is that it is of LyX's essence to straddle
> that line. On the one hand, we do strive to ease the learning curve for
> people who ulimately need or want to know LaTeX. (Many of us on the
> development team are like that.) But, on the other hand, we also hope to
> make LyX usable by folks who know nothing of LaTeX. We have had
> important developers (e.g. Abdel Younes) who knew very little LaTeX.
> I've got many students who use LyX who are in the same boat.
>
> On a different note: It is worth remembering that LyX does not just
> (directly) export TeX. It also exports DocBook and XHTML, and the latter
> might long-term be more important due to its compatibilty with ebook
> formats. If I had more time---I wrote the XHTML export code---I'd do a
> lot more in that direction. But even though I don't, it would not be
> difficult for people who cared about such functionality to do that work:
> It has more to do with time and experimentation (e.g., what CSS works
> and what does not) than it does to do with complex coding in C++/Qt.
> Anyone who cares about that, please let me know, and I can direct you to
> a lot of bugs that need attention.
>
> So, as so often with FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) projects, the
> issues fundamentallly concern people power. We *know* what LyX's
> weakenesses are, but we do not have the people-hours to address all of
> them. All of us who work on LyX are volunteers, so we generally work on
> what matters to us---but there are about half as many of us as there
> [...]

I have been looking into the LyX Bug reporter and changes made to the
code by the developers, and I have realized that I am not actually too
far away from code being developed. I studied C and C++ long time ago,
but I have never had a chance to put it into action. After clearing up
some of the major work and projects I have on my plate, I am hoping to
get more involved with developing LyX. Who knows how long it will
take... Thanks again to all...

Baris