*The file should go into ~/.lyx/ui/, or (more generally) the ui/*

* subdirectory of whatever your LyX user directory is. *

I have not the slightest idea why but I dropped the *stdtoolbars.inc* file
back into the ~/.lyx/ui directory this morning and it worked!

Perhaps the computer  shutdown and overnight rest cured it? I have heard it
worked for Model T Fords.

Thanks for reassuring me that I was not totally clueless here and that it
was worth a second (well 15th) try.

--
John Kane
Kingston ON Canada