Oh, Steve, how I wish that were true!

What really happens is that they see a word they would like to emphasise,
so they use direct formatting to do it. No need to use a style when you
only want to change one word, right?  Then another word. Then a paragraph.
And this one page should be different from the others.

Pretty soon you have 15 different fonts on every page, because if you give
these people 15 fonts, they will use them all.

Cheers,
Alan