Good point about systems allowing direct formatting Virgil. It should be
prohibited. I didn't know that AbiWord had the lockdown feature ("lockdown"
being the trendy word in Oz these days!), but it is a good idea.

AbiWord is still available, the latest release for Linux was in July of
this year. The Windows version has been dropped though. I always thought
that it was a rather slick lightweight word processor in my pre-latex days.

One of the things I like about Markdown is that I can convince some of my
friends to use it. They are doing family diaries and trip chronicles and
such that don't require anything too fancy. The separation of writing and
formatting is a revelation to them.

Cheers,
Alan