Am Donnerstag, dem 11.01.2024 um 09:03 +0000 schrieb markhsalmon:
> it does have features that make it easier to use. The university made
> its choice I suspect because of the way multiple authors can
> collaborate

I agree with you that the collaboration features are a big point in
favour of Overleaf. The strong desire by many LaTeX-users (and LyX-
users?) for those collaboration features are expressed by Emiliano
Heyns, the developer of BetterBibTeX for Zotero, in an interview:

"What I’d love to see is an online (because who wants to have to
install stuff these days), real-time, multi-author editor, that would
have a neutered view for my WYSIWYG brethren, a markup view for me
(LaTeX or something else, as long as I get the stuff I care about), a
vim mode preferably but at least something that syncs to offline files
(don’t trust the cloud as the only place for your precious articles).
LyX would be halfway there if the file format wasn’t so strange, and
co-authoring (or even version management, really) is a non-starter."

https://www.fiduswriter.org/2017/01/15/emilano-heyns/

I am a WYMIWG brother and like LyX a lot for hiding code from me as
much as possible, but due to missing collaboration features I use it
private only and would not suggest it at work, despite many advantages
of LyX in features apart from collaboration.

Tobias