On 4/9/24 15:59, Bernt Lie wrote:
OK -- so I could just as well start using RC4?

I have been using the master branch for regular work for well over a year. My recent book

    https://academic.oup.com/book/56184

was produced using it. I.e., the book was printed from a PDF I provided to OUP. So it's entirely usable.

I'm not super software savvy, so I have been hesitant not knowing:
* Can I install RC4 and still use LyX 2.7.1?
That may depend upon your OS, but someone else should be able to say. The one thing you have to do is keep the user directories separate.
* Do I have to uninstall RC4 and install the official release when it becomes
available?
Again, that will depend upon your OS.
* With 2.7.1, I have used MikTeX. Should I still use MikTeX, or use something
else? (Does MikTeX also come with LuaTeX, XeTeX, TeXLive, or whatever?)

The background TeX installation should not matter. They all have the same bits. (TeXLive, though, is an alternative to MikTeX.)

Riki