Herbert Voss wrote:

>> \renewcommand{\chaptername}{Appendix}  inside the appendix (defined
>> with the LyX menus Layout->Toggle Appendix)

This was necessary because I used the titlesec package to mimic the
koma-script lay-out and added some enhancements on the fly (like the option to
have quotes on the part pages.

> this should be the default in latex
>
>> I also used \thispagestyle{empty} or \thispagestyle{plain} for some
>> introductory material:
>> - a page with a dedication
>> - a page with the jury members (section*)
>> - the summary (chapter*)
>> - table of contents
>> - list of figures and list of tables (with forced pagebreaks).
>

> use komascript classes. there you have different pages for title,
> backtitle a.s.o.
> Makes life easier.

That's what I tried initially, but the koma-script classes clashed with other
special classes that I wanted to include too (don't remember which ones
exactly). I used the koma-script class for the cover page in a seperate LyX file.

> Herbert

Paul