Hi,

as soon as I discovered the sources of version 1.2.1
on the FTP server yesterday, I transferred them to my PC and
started the install process. Since I have versions 1.1.6fix1 and
1.2.0 also on my machine, I configured with --with-version-suffix,
and everything went fine.

After checking the new version briefly with src/lyx, I proceeded to
install it with make install. As a test, I wrote a brief letter,
and everything worked fine.

However, problems occurred after a further step. I am currently
preparing a major book manuscript for publication, and I wanted to
check and compare the results of exporting it to pdf from each of
the installed versions of LyX (because of the new handling of
graphics formats). So I started up versions 1.1.6fix1 after having
exported it with 1.2.1.

When I restarted 1.2.1 after that, only one entry was left in the
menubar (namely File -- normally, there are three entries: File,
Edit and Help). Even after loading a file, only three entries
appear in the menubar: File, Edit and Documents, and a number of
the entries in the respective menues are missing. File, for
example, only contains New..., Open..., Import and Exit.

I thought something had gone wrong, and started a new compile of
the program. But the result, much to my amazement, was the same:
when starting the newly compiled program, the symptoms persisted.
Then I deleted the whole directory, downloaded the sources afresh
from the FTP server, recompiled, and hoped that whatever the reason
for this strange behaviour was, it would now be gone.

But far from it. Still, when I start up 1.2.1, the menubar entries
are missing as described above. The same is true if I start version
1.2.0. Only 1.1.6fix1 still works with all menu entries.

Can anybody on the list imagine what has gone wrong, and how I can
fix this? I'd be much obliged!

Many thanks in advance,

Andreas
--
PD Dr. Andreas Busch
Centre for European Politics,           [EMAIL PROTECTED]