On 21 Aug 2002 13:17:35 +0200,  Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:

> This happens because 1.2.1 is not able to find its support files (in
> ${prefix}/share/lyx-1.2.1, probably). We need more information to
> understand what happens.
>
> Can you tell how you configured and installed each of the versions?
>
> Also, what happens when you launch lyx 1.2.1 from the console with the
> '-dbg init' switch?
>
> JMarc

JMarc,

many thanks for the quick reply, and for the sensible suggestion to
check with the -dbg init. The result made it clear very quickly
that I committed a grave error by simply copying the 1.2.0
preferences file to the .lyx-1.2.1 directory without editing some
of the paths given in there. As soon as I did that, the problems
went away.

Sorry for being so chaotic and unthoughtful, and many thanks for
helping me making it work again. I did some months ago post to the
list that LyX is essential to my work, and that I am very grateful
to the whole LyX developer community for producing such an
outstanding tool. I would like to repeat my heartfelt thanks again
and add those of my wife (who has just started writing up her PhD
thesis in LyX after hearing too many horror stories about problems
with MS Word...). If any of the developers pass through Oxford, be
sure to contact us -- we'll take you out for a beer!

Best,

Andreas
--
PD Dr. Andreas Busch
Centre for European Politics,           [EMAIL PROTECTED]