On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 10:35:05AM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Jacek> Antialiased fonts are supported for a long time in XFree86.
> Jacek> Just let LyX move from XForms!

> Antialiased fonts work in the qt port (will be in 1.3.0). We had a
> patch to make them work in xforms, but it needed to be rewritten in
> proper C++, and this never got done.

> And antialiased fonts are not a panacea: you need to have good fonts
> and a good rasterizer. The former is only possible with the microsoft
> free fonts, which have been withdrawn; and the later requires to
> enable the bytecode interpreter of freetype (the PS rasterizer is just
> ugly) and this causes problems with patents held by apple.

> So I really think that the font situation under linux is not so good.

Actually the fontmanagement and display are going to be very good.
Just take a look at the font setup in RedHat-8.0 with UTF-8,
Xft2/Fontconfig. In at most a year the handling and rendering of fonts
in Linux is going to be just as easy and good as in WinXP and MacosX
(at least when using either KDE or Gnome).

The problem that is going to remain is the availability of free
quality TT fonts.

Alexander