On Friday 14 February 2003 15:43, John Levon wrote:

> What is your $LANG set to ? You may have to set it to greek to enter the
> text (this is an X/Qt thing not LyX's).
Well, all other X apps work fine, and so does Lyx if the document language is
set to english. Exporting LANG="el_GR" before loading lyx obviously does not
help...

> Is the language set to greek for
> the document ?
Yes

> Can  you give the output you get with lyx -dbg key after you type a
> character ? Can  you give a small example output document, and further

This is the output of the debugger when I press "ó" ("sigma")

Press key 0 text "ó", ascii "243"
Setting key to 0, ó
KeySym is ó
isOK is 1
isMod is 0
encoding is iso8859-7
Using codec ISO 8859-7
Oof. Can't encode the text !
ISOEncoded returning value 0
action first set to [-1]
action now set to [-1]
Key [action=-1][ó]
isText for key 0 isPrint is 1
isText() is true, inserting.

While the output for pressing "s" (that is using the latin keymap) is:

Press key 83 text "s", ascii "115"
Setting key to 83, s
KeySym is s
isOK is 1
isMod is 0
encoding is iso8859-7
Using codec ISO 8859-7
ISOEncoded returning value 115
action first set to [88]
action now set to [88]
Key [action=88][s]
Cannot decode: s
SelfInsert arg[`']

Reading the iso-8859-7.cdef in /usr/share/lyx/kbd, the ASCII code 243 is
mapped to "s"... Should it be mapped to the actual "ó" instead (as well as
all other greek chars substituting the latin ones)?

> explain what you mean by "cannot type on Lyx" ?
When I shift my keyboard to greek, Lyx does not "capture" the keypresses... it
ignores whatever I type. If I shift back to a latin keymap, it works
perfectly (the dvi appears correctly with greek chars). While this can be
acceptable for a few symbols (e.g. typing "p" to get a "pi" on the output)
writing an entire document like that is definately a torture.

Hope this helps...