>>  No option is OK, ie just "\usepackage{babel}".

Dominik> That is right, but IF using options in the LyX settings (e.g.
Dominik> "\usepackage[ngerman]{babel}"), then just typing
Dominik> "\usepackage{babel}" in the preamble causes new problems:
Dominik> Babel cannot be loaded twice with differing options. (At
Dominik> least this problem occured here).

Yes. I never understood why this could be useful, though. What is
wrong with setting language of the document to ngerman directly?
In this case, "\usepackage{babel}" is enough, since the "ngerman" is
passed as a \documentclass option.

JMarc