On Mon, Jun 16, 2003, Matej Cepl wrote:

> Couldn't we make an agreement, that there will be only one reply: read
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.general/9472.

I think one could do better than the above response, which is no more than
the following:

   have you installed (for the QT front end) the latex-ttf-fonts package?
   In the LyX ftp site it is in the contrib directory.

There are several points that would still be troublesome for someone new
to LyX:

1.  It's not clear where the "contrib" directory is...there is no mention
    of such a thing at http://www.lyx.org/download/.  (That page only refers
    to a "stable" and a "bin" directory.)  Of course, if users poke around
    enough, they will eventually find ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/contrib,
    but why not point them there directly?

2.  It's probably not clear to many users how one goes about "installing"
    this package.  Since this is not at all obvious, and is also not the
    same for every setup, a few examples would go a long way to clarifying
    things.  Many users may not even know which file in the contrib directory
    to download, and (as far as I can tell) none of them have any instructions.

3.  There is no mention of latex-ttf-fonts on the "required and optional
    support software" page, which otherwise lists the programs required
    for LyX (i.e. TeX, ImageMagick, Xforms, etc.)  Since these fonts are
    pretty much "required" for the Qt version to be very functional, it
    would be better to tell users about this up-front.

4.  Some explanation of why these fonts are not included in main distribution
    would certainly be helpful.  I've seen references on mailing list that
    they are "not free", but there are no copyright notices or other
    restrictions in the latex-ttf-fonts-0.1.tar.gz file, nor is there any
    indication of where these came from or who the authors are.

...dave case