Michael Logies wrote:
> I "cut and paste" most of my references from different databases into
> Lyx, and numbering of my references is changing automatically within Lyx
> without invoking another program. That`s already quite comfortable. I
> don`t think that I will have much more than 150 references (and I already
> have about 120 in Lyx), so bibtex might be overkill.

I think you misunderstand. BibTeX is a database manager that allows you to
keep all your references in a single database. (Or more if you choose of
course.) No need _ever_ to cut and paste into LyX.

Of course, you have to generate the database in the first place. Sample
entry below.

@String{JCI = {J.~Clin. Invest.}}

@article{Allen:etal85,
 author = {J.L. Allen and I.D. Frantz and J.J. Fredberg},
 title  = {Regional alveolar pressure during periodic flow: dual
                  manifestations of gas inertia},
 journal = JCI,
 year   = 1985,
 volume = 76,
 pages  = {620-629}
}

Personally, I am quite happy managing my own database with emacs, but there
are lots of frontends out there, eg pybliographer.

The point is that separating your references out into a database allows you
to separate data from appearance. You can view the same data in different
ways by choosing the bibtex style file to format it with.

Anyway, you have clearly invested considerable effort in your present
scheme so you may well be unwilling to change. Fair enough.

Returning to your original question:
> these numbers are from the bibliography, typically looking like these
> from the tex-file, see below.
> My problem is, that \usepackage{cite} only results in a lot of question
> marks instead of correctly sorted numbers. Any idea?

What happens if you export you lyx file to tex and then run latex by hand
multiple times (say 3 or 4). Does that resolve your question marks into
citations?

--
Angus