In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
> Is there an easy way to redefine paragraph styles in Lyx?
>
> I'm new to LyX and TeX, and I'm just trying to use it to typeset a book.
> It's going well, I'm using the "book" document class, I get a nice
> output, but now I want to change the chapter headings to a different
> size and font, say. Or give the body text paragraphs a different first
> line indent.
>
> In Word, for example, I would just go to the paragraph styles and either
> add my own or override an existing one.
>
> I've done some RTFM but I want to make sure I'm on the right track and I
> haven't overlooked something stupid.

Well, you have sort of overlooked what I think is the point of
LyX/LaTeX. But we'll skip that.

> Is it right that Word's paragraph styles are analogous to "environments"
> in LaTeX?

Roughly.

> >From various places it suggests creating .layout, .sty or .cls files but
> I'm not sure which - it seems a bit complicated for something so basic
> which makes me think I might be doing something wrong. Or do I just add
> some code to the LaTeX Preamble section in the Document Settings? Should
> I be creating my own class from scratch? Or just overriding parts of the
> basic "book" class? Could someone give me a basic example of changing
> the font used for the chapter headings?

The first thing to understand is that there are two completely
separate renderings in LyX. There's the rendering you get in the LyX
window, and the rendering you get when you export to TeX.

The former is controlled by the layout files. For each environment,
you set the fonts, sizes, etc, and that sets how it's displayed in LyX.

The look when it's renderd by LaTeX is controlled by the .sty and .cls
files. In your case, you need to look into the book.cls file. You'll
want to copy it into a private part of the search path and change the
name so you don't screw up other documents that want to use the
original book class. Ditto for the layout file. You'll want to edit
those to change the names as appopriate.

> It's only the output I'm worried about - it doesn't matter how it looks
> in LyX.

So the only changes you need to make to the layout file are to get it
to use the correct class file for the output.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.mired.org/consulting.html