In trying to get a spellchecker working for LyX I had the following troubles
(I AM USING LyX FOR MAC, OSX 10.3.9):

ASPELL:
istallation was ok, I activated all the dictionaries on the control panel, but I get the following error when using LyX: "The file "/usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60/english" can not be opened for reading". Well, the folder exists, and it contains several things but not that file. I am suspicious that the aspell installer put these things in another folder like "/Library/Application Support/cocoAspell" Is there a way to fix the problem?

ISPELL:
I got a tar file which requires some knowledge to be installed. Is there any binary package for non-expert users (OSX)?

best regards

Giorgio Zavarise