Thanks for the first answers,

> Correct, but this shouldn't be necessary as lyx usually have no problems
> with รถ or most of the other latin non-ascii characters.
>[..]  Lyx works with various latin encodings such as
> iso8859-1, unicode support is planned for version 1.5.

can you give me a hint, how can I make that X-windows send the key-events in
latin-charset to lyx? (And not in utf-8 like now)

I am using Gentoo, so I checked the unicode depended packages:

        USE="-unicode" emerge -Np world

        Calculating world dependencies ...done!
        [ebuild   R   ] app-editors/nano-1.3.7
        [ebuild   R   ] app-misc/mc-4.6.0-r14
        [ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.13-r1
        [ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.4-r6
        [ebuild   R   ] dev-util/dialog-1.0.20050206

I guess it must be something in baselayout, but I don't have a clue.

Ciao, Henning