----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Geoffrey Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Uwe Stöhr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "LyX-Users" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: WinInstaller 0.51

----- Original Message ----- From: "Geoffrey Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Stephen Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Uwe Stöhr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "LyX-Users" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 2:28 PM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stephen Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Uwe Stöhr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Geoffrey Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "LyX-Users" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 9:14 PM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Uwe Stöhr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Geoffrey Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "LyX-Users" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 11:27 AM

Geoffrey Lloyd wrote:

Having also run out of ideas I created a new partition and installed lyx to F:\lyx
Aspell and GSVIEW still installed to C:\
Interestingly InstantPreview now works.

Yes! Very good to hear.

I uninstalled and reinstalled in the usual C:\Program Files\Lyx and it failed

I tried again at C:\Lyx and it worked fine once again. Is this a spaces in path problem (I am using Miktex 2.4.1704) ???

It seems so, I'll test it.
(I use a german Windows where the default path is C:\Programme\LyX)
But anyway, is the Instant preview the only problem when you installed to C:\Program Files\Lyx ?

Geoffrey, that was some good sleuthing work, I admired the ingenuity
and persistence. The documentation for Miktex either flatly states, or
strongly recommends, installing MikTex to a directory without spaces.
I think the defaults are c:\texmf and c:\localtexmf.

Just to clear this up this is a problem with Ghostscript not Miktex.

If this is a problem with Ghostscript, rather than paths with spaces, or
LyX, why did "gswin32.exe 0lsypreview.ps" work? Was Ghostscript
used to create 0lsypreview.ps?

I'm under the impression that the same ghostscript was used in both
cases, C:\Lyx which worked and C:\program files\lyx which did not.

The difference is in the path. Miktex and Aspell say to install in paths
without spaces. If Miktex or Aspell failed because of a space in the
path one would not say there is a Miktex or Aspell problem but a
Path problem (due to Linux/Windows porting). The Path appears to
be the problem with ghostscript not working. This seems to be my
day to learn things, so could you provide a little more clarity? I don't
mean repeat Uwe's evaluation, but explain why his diagnosis is correct.

Hmmm good point. Wherever Lyx is the temp directory still has paths with spaces and so 0lyxpreview.ps still has spaces in its path.

Maybe it is something to do with the path to GS having spaces in this case but we have stumbled across another problem with GS which is not related.

I honestly couldnt say.

Uwe wrote:
Could you check as last try to copy the "0lyxpreview.ps" from LyX's temp directory to LyX's install folder ~\etc\Ghostscript\bin Then start a console, change to ~\etc\Ghostscript\bin and try if the command

gswin32c.exe 0lyxpreview.ps

is successful.

GL wrote: It is (I think i mentioned this in the last email)

Regards,
Stephen