----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin A. Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Geoffrey Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "LyX Users' Forum" <lyx-users@lists.lyx.org>
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 8:29 AM
Subject: Re: missing documentation ...?

that is too bad. i really should say that latex ought to be the best
application to calculate the height of the caption - so i can fit the
image-float on a page without overshooting anything.

perhaps one could do a hack with some ERT?

martin

Hello,

I'm working my way through "The Latex Graphics Companion"
which has some renowned contributors/Goossens. Last night I read in Section 2.3.2, Resizing to a given size, that
"it is possible to specify that LaTeX material should be typeset
to a fixed horizontal or vertical dimension:

\resizebox*{h-dim}{v-dim}{material}

SH: To answer another question, the book continues,

"When the aspect ratio of the material is to be maintained, then
it is enough to specify one of the dimensions, replacing the other
one with a "!" sign."

SH: I don't know what the LyX mechanism is for maintaining
aspect ratio, maybe it just generates a "!" symbol like in LaTeX.
This book was in my public library, so surely should be in a
local college/university library, or one can become a Friend
of the Library for $35 a year where I live. The public library
will also obtain a copy by interlibrary loan. I think a LaTeX
solution will be perceived as a bit advanced by many LyXers. Section 2.3.1, Scaling a LaTeX box states,

"The \scalebox command lets you magnify or reduce text or
other LaTeX material by a scale factor:

\scalebox{scalefact}{material}

The first of the two (mandatory) arguments, (scalefact), specifies the factor by which both dimensions of the _material_ are to be scaled. The following example shows how this works. ...

A supplementary optional argument, if present, is used to
specify a separate vertical scaling factor.

\scalebox{h-scale} [v-scale] {material}

This is demonstrated in the following examples, which also
show how multiple lines can be scaled by using the standard
LaTeX \parbox command." ...

I'm under the impression that not all LaTex functionality is
implemented in the LyX front-end, so more in depth reference material ought to be obtainable from LaTeX forums, docs or books, which can perhaps be enabled in LyX, as Georg said.

Good luck on however you choose to pursue your endeavor,
Stephen