Paul Johnson wrote:
Well, this seems like a serious problem, not one where we should say
"there's nothing to do".

I'd suggest that LyX SHOULD NOT offer to export documents to pdf when
they have eps files in them, or at least users need a VERY BIG warning
because a lot of users will get in trouble unless they proof read
their output very carefully.  A bug of this sort, which crops up after
a project is finished and printed out and presented to
students/teachers, and appears only later in pdf output intended for
the Web, is very serious.

If tex2pdf works, couldn't LyX incorporate that (its GPL, right?) and
cut all usage of the other converters?

PJ

http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/bibliog/latex/LaTeXtoPDF.html

"Need both PS and PDF? This requires *all* the graphics to be EPS files
    Use the traditional method (dvips plus ps2pdf).

Need both DVI and PDF?
    Use dvipdfm. Once again, the figures *must* be Encapsulated PS

Need just PDF?
    Use pdflatex.

That looks pretty painless; but there's a catch. While the previous methods employ EPS exclusively as the graphics format, pdflatex won't accept EPS directly at all: you have to convert all the graphics to JPEG, PNG, or PDF (!) before compiling."

> I'd suggest that LyX SHOULD NOT offer to export documents to pdf when

It has always been impossible to export documents containing eps images
to pdflatex. There is no conversion and a warning about an incompatible
format pops up. I don't know how your file escaped. pdflatex is offered
because it is faster when all the graphics are *not* eps. But I did
see a conversion on FC4 with the eps images. I thought it might have
been the viewer that FC5 uses which is "evince". Viewers are not equal.

...s{0C__download_weirdRotations_test1-small} [pdflatex error message]

I could not locate the file with any of these extensions:
.png,.pdf,.jpg,.mps [because pdflatex only does these, not eps]

2. Tell LaTeX what to expect.

You have to tell the latex program to add instructions for the post-processors. So your preamble should look like this:

        \documentclass[dvips,...]{article}      % the dvips is essential
        \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}            % to include images
        \usepackage{pslatex}        % to use PostScript fonts

        % redefine float-placement parameters here

        \begin{document}

3. Include the figures in the *.tex file.

To insert a figure (contained in a file named circle1.eps) into the text, put something like

        \begin{figure}[htp]
        \resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{
                \includegraphics[width=\textwidth]{circle1}
                }
        \caption{circle1}
        \end{figure}

where you want the figure to appear in the text.

I saw in your lyx file that \graphics default was used and I
wondered about \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx} % to include images
but am not sure of the consequence.

PJ: "Because a lot of my work depends on being able to create
pdf files that are accurate representations of the dvi/ps files
that LyX creates."

         latex              dvips            ps2pdf
text.tex -------> text.dvi -------> text.ps --------> text.pdf

Tex2pdf is a command line script that converts TeX/LaTeX and LyX
files to Portable Document format. Tex2pdf does this directly,
without the need for generating a Postscript file.
tex2pdf myfile.tex

SH: Suppose you want to convert a .dvi or .ps file. Either
Tex2pdf will not be the right tool, or will do no better
than ps2pdf. I noticed that "Figure 3: Horizontal big one"
was displayed in dvi and pdf but not postscript. Displays
for LyX, dvipdfm and Ps2pdf were the same except for
"Figure 3: Horizontal big one" missing in postscript.
pdflatex generated an error message as is intended since
it isn't meant for eps. So Windows behavior is correct.
Your file is not supposed to display in Linux, but it did.

Regards,
Stephen