Florian Kamm wrote:

the View->PDF (pdflatex) causes the same bahavior I described above. Then I looked into the temporary folder LyX was using during the run. Surprisingly I found a fine pdf-file, correctly put together (the toc, normal text and bibliography). But LyX still hangs and needs to killed via process manager. The log-file doesn't report any problems. Further launching from the command line works well.

Does the document contain graphics and, if so, are they intact in the pdf output file?

Someone had a problem similar to this generating LaTeX output -- turned out to be something pplatex was doing in post-processing -- but I have not seen this with pdflatex. You might try the following: Open a DOS prompt in the LyX bin directory, and start LyX with 'lyx -dbg latex'. Then open the document and either export or view using pdflatex. The DOS window will get a lot of debugging output, but only the chunk just before the hang will be of interest.

When the hang occurs, take a look in the task list and see if you can see pdflatex still running. The most likely explanation for LyX hanging would be that pdflatex never exits. (If it exited with an error code, I assume LyX would register that, although I can't swear that it would.)

/Paul