On Nov 2, 2006, at 1:55 PM, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

Bob Lounsbury wrote:

I'm using 1.4.3 on mac and my question is. Where should custom bst files be placed

I usually place mine in a folder like %localtexmf%/bibtex/bst/ journal_of_whatever.

and then what should be done so that they are recognized by LyX (besides a Tools > Reconfigure)?

You need to refresh the file name database in your LaTeX installation. The precise mechanics seem to depend on your distribution, but it usually reduces to running a command like texhash (unless you've got an icon that points to the right command, which is distinctly possible). Sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm not a Mac user.

/Paul

Thanks for the reply.

I had placed the bst file in my localtexmf folder and ran texhash with this result:

[bobl-mac:~] bobl% texhash
texhash: Updating /sw/etc/texmf-config/ls-R...
texhash: /sw/share/texmf/ls-R: no write permission. Skipping...
texhash: /sw/share/texmf-dist/ls-R: no write permission. Skipping...
texhash: /sw/share/texmf-local/ls-R: no write permission. Skipping...
texhash: Updating /sw/var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
texhash: Done.
[bobl-mac:~] bobl%

It seems that I have no write permission to three folders. Seeing this I went to every folder and ensured read & write access, but I still get the same result so I assume this is why LyX is not finding the bst file.

Any ideas.

Bob