Robert Neumann wrote:
Good question. I would start by going to the MikTeX Options program, General tab, and click the "Update Formats" button. I've encountered problems where MikTeX suddenly became unable to generate fonts (after I'd done an update to it), and this seemed to do the trick.

I tried, but it didn't work, then I deinstalled Lyx and MikTeX, cleaned the
registry and installed it new - same error. It is even more strange, because it
worked until a couple of days. I searched the mailing list for "times" but
didn't find anything. I might open up a new thread with "problems with mathptmx
and times" maybe somebody has encountered a similar problem...

Do you have this problem when using Times without mathptmx, or only when using Times with mathptmx?

Also, when you say you reinstalled MikTeX, is it the latest up-to-date distribution, or are you installing from an archive (or a mix of the two)?

/Paul