From: Uwe Stöhr [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wed 30/05/2007 18:32
To: Steed, Robert J
Cc: lyx-users@lists.lyx.org
Subject: Re: Physical units

Steed, Robert J schrieb:

> I'm starting to write my thesis in Lyx and it so happens that I need to use
> microns(?) in my physical units alot. But I can't get a non-italic ? in math
> mode. Unicode doesn't seem to work either I get error messages:
>
> Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:μ not set up for use with LaTeX.

As you are using LyX 1.5 you can enter it directly via the keyboard. The only
thing you have to do
is to use the default encoding for English in your case. Attached is a LyX-file
showing this.

You can alternatively use the ERT-command
\textmu
when you add this to your document preamble:
\usepackage{textcomp}

Concerning units, don't forget that there is only a hlaf space between number
and units. A half
space is produced in LyX with the shortcut "Ctrl-Shift Space" (menu Insert->
Formatting -> Thin
space), see also the attached example.

regards Uwe