Paul A. Rubin wrote:
Hi all,

I'm revising the amsart, amsart-plain, amsart-seq and amsbook layouts, and there are a few oddities that need to be reconciled. Mostly I'm making choices capriciously :-), but this is something I thought I would put to a vote.
On a slightly different note, at least in 1.6, it will be possible to simplify some of this. Dang near everything you could ever want has to be defined in the layout file because there's presently no easy way to pull anything else in. In 1.6, on the other hand, we'll have (we do have, in svn) what I call layout "modules" that allow you to customize your layout by pulling in optional stuff. (There's stuff in Document>Settings that allows you to do this.) So, if it seemed wise, some of the less crucial stuff could be pulled out into a module, and then people who needed it could include it, so that by default the drop box would be less crowded. Of course, for 1.5, this isn't an issue.

Richard

The following numbered environments exist in all but amsart-plain:

Theorem; Corollary; Lemma; Proposition; Conjecture; Criterion; Algorithm; Axiom; Definition; Example; Condition; Problem; Exercise; Remark; Note; Notation; Claim; Summary (yes it's numbered, don't ask me why); Acknowledgement; Case; Conclusion; Fact; Assumption (I added that last one).

In the standard AMS layout, all these but one are numbered within sections, consecutively using a single counter (so that, for instance, if a lemma appears in section 3 after theorem 12, it's Lemma 3.13). The oddball is Case, which is not numbered by section, and has its own counter separate from the other items (so that if Lemma 3.13 is followed by the second case overall, it's Case 2).

I don't know why Case should be treated differently from everything else, so in the absence of votes to the contrary I'll merge it into the fold. Please let me know through the list and/or by direct e-mail if you have strong preferences to the contrary. Also, this is your chance to argue for different numbering of other environments (or different labeling, different text style, whatever -- within reason).

Cheers,
Paul

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto