I think the arabi package was installed correctly, since MiKTeX didn't
give me any errors. I don't know how else to check if it is correctly
installed (it has about 207 files.) I tried reinstalling it, but I
obtain the same results.

Furthermore, I spoke too soon when I said that just typing worked
fine. When I switch languages, it does seem to correctly switch the
script, except for punctuation symbols. Only latin letters and digits
seem to be correctly rendered, but the rest of the keyboard seems
"stuck" with the other keyboard map. Only when I switch off keybord
maps do I get the correct symbols.

--
Ernesto Posse
Modelling, Simulation and Design Lab - School of Computer Science