Ernesto Posse wrote:
On 9/29/07, Dov Feldstern <dfeldstern-rhxOsnTko2JWk0Htik3J/[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Ernesto Posse wrote:
I think the arabi package was installed correctly, since MiKTeX didn't
give me any errors. I don't know how else to check if it is correctly
installed (it has about 207 files.) I tried reinstalling it, but I
obtain the same results.

One way to check would be to see if you can "compile" a regular latex
(non-LyX) file with Farsi, maybe arabi includes some Farsi examples you
could test with. If you are able to do that, then it means that
arabi/latex are set up correctly, and the problem is getting LyX to work
with it. Otherwise, it means the problem is with your latex/arabi setup,
and there's not too much point in trying to get LyX to work before you
fix that.

I didn't find any examples in the arabi package, but I wrote my own.
Apparently the error occurs when using the babel package:

This compiles fine:

\documentclass[farsi,english]{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8,latin9]{inputenc}
\begin{document}
hello
\end{document}

But if I try to use a command from farsi, such as \alefhamza, I get a
babel error: (even if I don't use babel, which is odd:)
Package babel Error: You haven't loaded the option english yet.

If I add

\usepackage{babel}

I get

LaTeX Error: Encoding scheme `LAE' unknown.

But apparently the solution is to modify the options for fontenc and
babel as follows:

\usepackage[LFE,LAE,OT1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[farsi,english]{babel}

So LyX should generate these instead of the default

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{babel}

Uwe, I believe you worked on this at some point? I may have thwarted your efforts then...? Do you know what the current situation is?

Nevertheless, LaTeX does give some warnings:
"LaTeX Font Warning: Encoding `LFE' has changed to `OT1' for symbol font.

Furthermore, I spoke too soon when I said that just typing worked
fine. When I switch languages, it does seem to correctly switch the
script, except for punctuation symbols. Only latin letters and digits
seem to be correctly rendered, but the rest of the keyboard seems
"stuck" with the other keyboard map. Only when I switch off keybord
maps do I get the correct symbols.

Hmm, this is strange. What have you set your primary and secondary
keymaps to? What is your default language (Tools -> Preferences ->
Language settings -> Language) and what is the document language
(Document -> Settings... -> Language)? Which language seems to be
working correctly, and which does not? Can you give an exact recipe for
reproducing (e.g.: open a new document, set language to xxxx, type
"abc"...)?

It's working for me (with a few slight variations on your setup and recipe -- see below --- perhaps those will help).

Primary: american

Try switching this (primary) to "null" --- I think that means that your default language will be used.

Secondary: farsi

Default language: English

Things seem to go awry when the language is switched, regardless of
whether keyboard maps are on or off.

(this seems to indicate that the problem is not with the keymaps, but elsewhere in your system. Could it be that by accident you also switched the language at the OS-keyboard-level?)

Here's the recipe:

1. Open new document
2. type some text, including punctuation symbols
3. Set language to Farsi (Edit->Test Style->Customize->Language set to Farsi)

Try switching languages by typing "language farsi" in the minibuffer (Alt-x).

4. Type some text.
5. Set language to English or American (Edit->Test
Style->Customize->Language set to English)

Again, try the same command as above (still with "farsi"! this will toggle farsi off).

6. Type text. Punctuation symbols are now wrong.

Does this help?

If it does, you can bind the "language farsi" command to a key, see, e.g., the suggestions here: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.devel/88941 .

Dov