On Wednesday 03 October 2007 07:47:54 am Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Or generate XML and use Passepartout's typesetting engine xml2ps to
> generate your Postscript.

I really like this idea.  It looks like I might even be able to use
passepartout's GUI to address another part of my problem:  How to
create "templates".  More specifically, how to make it possible for someone
other than a geek like me to produce templates.

I was actually looking for a nice XML-based template format.  I investigated
using ODF files and using OOo to convert them to PS but there doesn't seem to
be a translation utility and OOo is a little heavyweight.

> Since you mentioned "small chunks of text" I assume you don't need TeX
> quality typesetting and I think either of these ideas will save time so
> you don't have to recreate new techniques.

You assume correctly.  I wouldn't mind having TeX-quality handling of
typesetting for intercharacter spacing and font rendering, but it's not
necessary.  I'm printing ID badges.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look into it,

        Shawn.