> What I need to do is to programmatically generate a postscript document,
> placing images and small chunks of text at locations specified by a template,
> with specific values pulled from a database.  I'm trying to determine what

i'm not sure what exactly you mean by the 'locations specified by a template',
but i used for very similar task lyx itself. i just manually rendered the page
in lyx and then used few-liners of sed in some loop + run lyx -e . tex maybe
better format for doing it, but it would need more time to construct the
template.

pavel