Dave Hewitt wrote:
Whenever I try to save LyX documents (File -> Save or Ctrl-S), I get a Backup Failure notification (image attached). After I hit OK, the Save option in the File menu is grayed out, indicating that the file has been saved. When I reopen the file, it looks fine, so the file itself is saving OK. Apparently LyX is (was, below) only having a problem accessing the backup directory.

In Tools -> Preferences -> Paths, my backup directory is given as C:\Program Files\LyX 1.5.2\backup, but no directory called 'backup' was created with the installation. I created a new folder in that location and named it 'backup', and (not surprisingly) everything now works fine.

I'm just curious as to whether this is the most appropriate solution?

Matter of taste, I guess. I don't rely on LyX for backups (I do that outside LyX).

If so, why was there no 'backup' directory created in the first place when LyX defaults to that path for backups?

A better question is why LyX had that path. My copy has the backup path blank, but then it inherited settings from earlier versions rather than being a first install.

And, no files of any type are appearing in this new backup directory I created, so where are these backups going (i.e., what is the purpose of this folder)?

Maybe there aren't any. Do you have Tools -> Preferences... -> Look and feel -> User interface -> Backup documents turned on?

Finally, are any of the other paths in the Preferences likely to be affected in this way?

Don't have an answer to that one, but I suspect it's unlikely.

/Paul