Dave Hewitt wrote:

And, no files of any type are appearing in this new backup directory I created, so where are these backups going (i.e., what is the purpose of this folder)?

Maybe there aren't any. Do you have Tools -> Preferences... -> Look and feel -> User interface -> Backup documents turned on?

Yes, and I recall that files with little tildes at the end (backups, presumably) appeared in the same directory as the file was located when I was using LyX 1.5.1. There would almost always be a file with the same name and an added tilde each place I had a LyX document.

That's what I get ... sometimes ... (I have timed backups deselected, but apparently there are untimed backups triggered by alignment of the planets or something). There are also #filename# copies that get dumped under certain circumstances (less than graceful exit from LyX?), again in the source directory.

So you're saying you have timed backups set and, even with a valid backup path and having the document open past the time limit, you're not getting a backup file?

/Paul