Dave Hewitt wrote:

Marc indicated that the files with tildes are the just-prior saved version (an at-the-time-of-last-opening backup, if you will). So those aren't the backups. But, like you Paul, I get the #...# files in the same directory as I'm working in. I get those files regularly when LyX has a document open, like a backup. So I'm confused about what those are (they're not going to the 'backup' directory, if they are backups).

Perhaps they're for File -> Revert?

So you're saying you have timed backups set and, even with a valid backup path and having the document open past the time limit, you're not getting a backup file?

Correct. Could this have something to do with the odd path that was given in the error message? LyX thought I wanted backups in 'backup' directory (which didn't exist), but the error message says:

"Cannot create backup file: C:/Program Files/LyX 1.5.2/backup/C:!Documents and Settings!dhewitt!Desktop!newfile1.lyx~. Please check..."

(It seems odd that this is an error for backup creation, and the file it wants to make has a tilde on it, which I've been told is not a backup.)

I'm guessing, since I don't do backups myself, but I suspect LyX wants to modify the file name -- lest you back up to the document folder and try to use the same name. So the tilde decoration doesn't surprise me. As to why you're still not getting backups, that's another question. I take it that, after creating C:\Program Files\LyX 1.5.2\backup you still have that set as the backup path? Do you still get the same error message, or do backups fail silently?

/Paul

/Paul

Dave Hewitt