Daniel CLEMENT wrote:
On Thursday 27 December 2007 killermike wrote:

Thanks, now I was able to create an entry
        EPS -> PDF (pstopdf)
(same as in my Windows install). But what should be the command line? The one under Windows, which is
"epstopdf --outfile=$$o $$i", does not work.

What are the symptoms? In particular, do you have epstopdf installed? (Try 'which epstopdf' in a terminal to see.) You didn't indicate which Linux distro and which LaTeX distro you're using. With Ubuntu and TeXLive, you need to install the texlive-extra-utils package to get epstopdf.

As Paul says, adding the ImageMagick package will probably clear up the problem without any intervention.

Well, only part of it. Now the eps graphics appear correctly in the LyX
window, but when I try to preview-pdf
- either my "hand-made" converter above leads to an error,
- or (before adding it) I do see the eps images in pdf, but shrinked to
a tiny size in the lower right corner of their normal place.

Sounds like the bounding box is screwed up -- as if LaTeX thinks it's inserting a full page (letter or A4, whatever your religious preference is) rather than just the actual image. Have you tried using the image dialog in LyX to set the bounding box?

I don't know what so many things seem to be missing from my LyX setup
under Linux. I added LyX with the "add-remove" applet. Perhaps using the
package manager would have done better?

MiKTeX (on Windows) bundles a lot of packages into the basic load-out, and it's easy to add more as you need them (and perhaps forget that adding them was an extra step). On Linux, you have to use a different LaTeX distro (TeXLive in my case), which bundles things differently, and so it's a whole new game.

Again, I don't know your Linux distro. On Ubuntu, you can get to the Synaptic Package Manager from the administration menu, then do a search on "texlive" and find all sorts of related packages. When I did this, I wasn't sure which ones I needed, so I installed the obvious suspects (which, as it happened, did not include texlive-extra-utils). Whenever I come up one brick short of a load, I find the necessary package (usually by doing a Google search on "Ubuntu" and the name of the missing piece, e.g. "epstopdf") and hope for the best. Packaging with TeXLive, at least on Ubuntu, is not as granular as with MiKTeX, where you can download most LaTeX packages individually rather than in bundles containing extra stuff you don't need.

HTH,
Paul