Daniel CLEMENT wrote:
On Monday 31 december 2007 Paul A. Rubin wrote:
[...]

The error message is getting truncated, which I find a tad annoying.

It's the kind of dialog box you can't resize...

Yes. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply fault on your part. This happens frequently with LyX errors. It would be nice if the error messages were resizable (or, better still, if there were a button to copy the entire message into the clipboard). I'll enter this as an enhancement request if I remember. (Brain cells are at a premium today.)

Try running

epstopdf --outfile='0_home_daniel_Images_intpar0.pdf' '0_home_daniel_Images_intpar0.eps'

in the terminal and see if you get any informative error messages.

Done this. Nothing "informative" to me but some obscure error messages
that I append at the end. I carefully followed your instructions,
several times, but I always got the same results.

[...]

When this occurs in the LyX GUI, it's usually a sign that you are missing some X fonts, so I suspect that's the case here as well. See the wiki (http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/Troubleshooting) for tips on how to install them.

It's not really the LyX GUI that is at fault: the symbols were missing
in the DVI, not in the LyX window. Anyhow,

1) Installing the latex-xft-fonts package did solve another problem I
had. Some math symbols (\mapsto, \smallsetminus...) retained their TeX
names in the LyX window, instead of being replaced by their graphical
counterpart. Now this is OK. Nice.

Well, at least *something* improved. :-)

2) I was able to reduce this problem to an import issue. The .tex file
was not created in LyX, but exported from a windows software (SW). Then
I changed the roman font to Palatino, and here was the problem. If I
leave the default font unchanged, or if paste the document content into
a LyX-made file, I can then alter the font without problem. Since it happened only in DVI previewing, I hadn't suspected that.

Frank Iannarilli started a wiki page on the adventures of converting from SciWord/SciWorkPlace to LyX. The URL is http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/ImportingFromSWP. If you have a chance, it would be great if you could tack on something about the font issue -- although I'm not sure if it's really a SW problem or just a problem with Palatino (?).

There is still the graphics problem:

Moreover, the graphics are missing, replace by a
thick black frame...
Not sure what's up with that, unless it's a path problem. If you export the document to a .tex file, run latex against it in a terminal, and try to view the DVI, does the same thing happen?

Alas, yes. And I cannot see anything in the .log file complaining about
graphics (excerpt below -- I can post it in whole if you think it can
help).
I have the same behavior if the .eps file is placed within a brand new
LyX file.
Even worse, I tried with another .eps file produced purely under Linux,
with OpenOffice Draw. Same black box in the DVI, but his time the
picture does not even appear at all in PDF (only the PS preview is
correct). Amazingly, _this_ .eps file does not produce any epstopdf
error message...
Daniel

-----

epstopdf output:

Error: /undefined in II*
Operand stack:

Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1889   1   3   %
oparray_pop   1888   1   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   1872   1
3   %oparray_pop   1755   1   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   %
errorexec_pop   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1152/1684(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:108/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: 2
GPL Ghostscript SVN PRE-RELEASE 8.61: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/tmp/lyx_tmpdir59837dNjfq/lyx_tmpbuf0$
(what the hell does this mean!?)

I think it means something screwed up. :-) The rest is left to Ghostscript developers and a select few extraterrestrials to interpret.

If you can create a minimal sample document and post it here together with the offending EPS file(s), maybe we can find something. You're using a beta version of GS; it might be interesting to see if the problem is reproducible with other versions (and on other platforms).

/Paul