I said the root; i.e. c:\texmf  is the location of the directory.  Also,
the Date Modified field says June 27, 2005, which is probably when
I first installed a copy of MiKTeX.  Don't recall the version.

The structure is \texmf\miktex\config

and within this leaf sub-directory, one finds .log files from that date,
and are noted to be setup logs.

> I've found that MiKTeX 2.7 is placing additional packages in:
> C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\latex. Maybe, this is done in
> this manner because I selected to install MiKTeX for 'anyone
> who uses this computer'. If it was installed for 'user only'
> then the packages may have been installed into the UserConfig
> folder, who knows. At some point in the next couple of weeks
> I "may" test the theory :-}.
>
> Bob

There may be a lot of consequence for my use of LyX/LaTeX/TeX owing
to near ignorance of the tools.  However, I now have found that if I first
alter the .tex file, then import it into LyX, I have fewer difficulties.

After I have come to understand these tools a little better, I will try to
give a critique from the perspective of a WYSIWYG user.  To the
moment, I am encouraged with what I have found, though much of
the process of annotating source text seems at first use to be a bit
tedious compared to the process as implemented within Ventura
Publisher.  For instance, I can create a text style that applies to
individual paragraphs.  So, one style for normal text, another for quotes,
and still others for other types of content.  Having to manually add
ERT to each paragraph is one example of such tedious acts being
implementable in more effective means.

LyX doesn't seem to give me access to all the LaTeX source material
in the view source window.  This is one reason that I like to modify the
.tex file, and then import into LyX.  The use of templates shows great
potential but, it is not as easy to use as the concept suggests.

wrb