Daniel Lohmann schrieb am 19.03.2008:

After finding myself spending more and more time with tweaking and customizing bibliography handling I am considering switching to biblatex.

[...]

1) Do you have to change your .bib-files?

Yes, slightly. biblatex introduces some new field types (like maintitle, subtitle, titleaddon etc.). In order to get your bibliography properly formatted, some changes to the bib file will be necessary. I used jurabib previously, and it took me about 2-3 hours with a >1000 entries bib file.

2) Does it work well with hyperref (including backref support and so on)?

Yes, I have no problems so far.

3) Do I really have to use the natbib options?

No, I don't use natbib at all. biblatex is absolutely independent from natbib, there is only a natbib-compatibility-mode in order to use natbib's commands (\citep, \citet etc.), not the ones biblatex provides (\parencite, \textcite etc.).

4) Why is it the case that the path to the bib-files has to be either absolute or the bib-file has to be in texmf? I really would like to avoid both.

I have all my bib files in my local texmf tree. But it should work if the bib file is in the same directory as the master tex file (though I'm not sure if LyX can handle this).

5) Even though I never heard any complaints about the 0.7 version of biblatex, it is still considered as "beta". Did you experience any problems while using it?

I am using it a lot, and for a long time, and I had no serious problems since version 0.6.

Regards,
Dominik.-

--
biblatex styles: http://biblatex.dominik-wassenhoven.de/index-en.shtml