Paul (and the rest of the group):

> William R. Buckley wrote:
> >
> > My image has dimensions of 8.5 by 11 inches,
> > though the actual image that I want is much
> > smaller.
>
> Right-click the image and use the Output Size portion of the
> dialog (Graphics tab) to scale the image.  If you want to
> maintain the original aspect ratio, the easiest way is to
> scale it by a percentage (first box).
>
> Also, if your image has white space that you would like to
> crop (for instance, if it's a modest sized graphic produced
> by a program that wrote it out to a full letter-size page),
> use the Clipping tab of the dialog, select "Clip to bounding
> box" and specify coordinates for the bottom left and top
> right corners of the display area.
> >
> > What I notice, even in the imported .tex file for my paper,
> > and when using LyX, (BTW, is it as in Lick?)
>
> There's been extensive (and IMHO inconclusive) discussion
> of this, but "licks" seems to be the predominant choice
> (particularly since "leaks"
> is not a happy name for a computer program).

I would argue for lick, to be consistent with TeX and LaTeX.
Of course, when I first encountered the product, licks came
immediately to mind.

> > that the
> > image takes a page on its own.  Also, the box for the
> > image in the LyX display says *error converting to
> > loadable format* or some such - I > > can't really tell,
> > as the type appears to be 4pt.
>
> It's a variable font -- automatically maps to two points
> smaller than what your eyes can comfortably read.

Well then, goal accomplished.  Doesn't really matter, I suppose,
since I don't need to see the image in LyX either.  Hey, perhaps
a good idea is to magnify the enclosing box of the graphic file
when the mouse pointer pans over the bounding box.

> > The text following the graphic begins on the page
> > following that which is used by the graphic.  This is
> > absolutely unacceptable, for the image takes only
> > about one tenth the height of the page.
>
> Are you saying that there is a bunch of wasted space below
> the image box, then a page break and more text, or are you
> saying that there is wasted space inside the image box (in
> which case you need to clip), or neither?
>
> /Paul

Exactly, one of these cases.  I have a small graphic positioned
at the upper left of a full 8.5x11 inch page, and stored in PDF.
The vast majority of the page is blank.

When I paste this into a document via LyX, and then print the
document to a PDF, what I get is the entire page inserted into
the document, instead of just the 3 inch wide, 2 inch tall graphic
image.

Hence, the text of the document ends on one page, is interrupted
by a text less page containing only the graphic image, and then
continues upon the page following; i.e. there is a break in the text
which consumes a whole page.  The PDF is attached.  The relevant
code of the .lyx file is as follows:

\begin_inset Graphics
        filename figure1.pdf
        width 10cm
        BoundingBox 0in 0in 5in 2in
        clip
        special totalheight=300pt

\end_inset

This inset began as some standard LaTeX code, which is

\begin{figure}
\centering
\includegraphics*[width=10cm, totalheight=300pt]{figure1.pdf}
\caption{\label{fig:figone}Figure 1.  An active sub-configuration s' which  is
identical to its state transition, F(s') = s',
classifiable as passive  or active, depending upon applied metric.  No other
figure shows signal,  as this figure does.}
\end{figure}

Yes, I know that the caption is different from that in the image.
I plan to remove the image text, and use the above shown
mechanism.

The origin for all this was a sample sent by the journal editor,
and looks like:

\begin{figure}
\centering
\includegraphics[width=0.9\textwidth]{figname.eps}
\label{figlabel}
\end{figure}

So, while a lot of learning is going on, it has yet to get me
the images that I need.  Hence, a few more lessons are
apparently in order.  I can see that the end of this process
is near.

The immediate concern is proper use of the cropping tool,
and image placement.  I figure the failure of text to follow
the image on the same page (support for universal image
placement?) is a simple oversight.

Ciao!!!

wrb