William R. Buckley wrote:

Exactly, one of these cases.  I have a small graphic positioned
at the upper left of a full 8.5x11 inch page, and stored in PDF.
The vast majority of the page is blank.

When I paste this into a document via LyX, and then print the
document to a PDF, what I get is the entire page inserted into
the document, instead of just the 3 inch wide, 2 inch tall graphic
image.

Hence, the text of the document ends on one page, is interrupted
by a text less page containing only the graphic image, and then
continues upon the page following; i.e. there is a break in the text
which consumes a whole page.  The PDF is attached.  The relevant
code of the .lyx file is as follows:

\begin_inset Graphics
        filename figure1.pdf
        width 10cm
        BoundingBox 0in 0in 5in 2in
        clip
        special totalheight=300pt

\end_inset

Your bounding box coordinates are off. Coordinates run horizontally (x) and vertically (y) with (0,0) at the lower left corner of the document. (This runs counter to some programs, where (0,0) is the upper left, but it is what it is.) Since your full image is 8.5in by 11in, to get a 5x2 selection at the top (where the non-blank bit is), you would set the lower left to (0,9) and the upper right to (5,11).

The immediate concern is proper use of the cropping tool,
and image placement.  I figure the failure of text to follow
the image on the same page (support for universal image
placement?) is a simple oversight.

Attached is a sample doc with your image embedded. (I assume that you are inserting the image at a specific point in the text, rather than using a float.) I've cropped it rather tightly; you might want to relax that a bit. Note that the text fills the rest of the page. If you push the graphic too close to the bottom, though (but not to the point where the bottom of the graphic reaches the bottom margin), LaTeX might decide to leave some blank space (but not much) and resume text on the next page.

/Paul