On 2008-03-25 23:28:34 +0100, Joost Verburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

Anyway, writing down her comments I've certainly learnt a lot. Most importantly that there can actually be some thinking involved in creating stuff like this!

Yes. Personally I think a nice website and logo are quite important. Of course many developers and current users just care about the quality of the software, but effective marketing can attract new users and developers and generate more activity and interest. Products like Mozilla Firefox have become very popular because of good advertising combined with good software.

That is like the neverending discussion about what one finds important in a relationship or what criteria a possible partner would have to meet. Humans _are_ visually orientated beings and so attractiveness _is_ important to us. I personally completely avoid using ugly software from ugly websites, unless it is really, really good. But I am a Mac-User and probably more sensitive about these kind of things. A software must be really, really to for me to use it even though it is ugly. For example, Inkscape is sooooo ugly on Mac (the website is okay though), but it is quite a good application, so I use it. LyX is not too ugly (though the website is), but it is a brilliant application, so I use it. OpenOffice/X11 has a confusing pseudo-business-like website and is because of its use of X11 way too ugly (for Inkscape there is no alternative to X11), so I completely stopped using it. This is because when working with a computer I do not want to work _for_ the computer but rather _with_ the computer and an app should be easy, nice and intuitive (which LyX in many ways already is). And such things as nice websites, splash screens, logos, document icons and the general appearance are important and can evoke positive emotions in the best case and negative emotions in the worst case -- just think of your reactions when someone sends you, say, a .doc instead of a .rtf or .pdf or when someone sends you a .bmp that will not open instead of a .png or .jpg -- at least I feel negative emotions coming up at the very moment I spot the word icon...

Maksi