On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Uwe Stöhr wrote:

The placement of figures is now accomplished, though I do have some
complaint about the *compliance* of LyX, vis-à-vis following directions
in the placement of graphics. I do use the Float:Figure mechanism, and
note that the options for placement are general.  Yet, even if the
selection is for top-of-page, or bottom-of-page, there are conditions in
which the graphic is not placed, or it is placed on the next page, or it
is placed at the end of the document.

The rules can also be changed, the EmbeddedObjects manual explains this in detail.

  I see too many threads that focus on tweaking appearances to suit a
desired outcome rather than focusing on the outcome itself.

  Perhaps it's just curmudgeonly me, but one of the overwhelming reasons I
like LyX/LaTeX is that I don't have to worry about details; the styles and
page composition standards built in do that for me. I ran into a minor issue
of this genre when the TeXpert at Springer New York asked me to change all
\textellipsis to \ldots in my book (which uses the Springer monograph class
for formatting).

  So, I spent some time researching the differences between \textellipsis
and \ldots. They vary in spacing between the dots, between the last dot and
end-of-sentence punctuation, and other aspects that to me were too subtle
and mattered not. But, I shrugged and did a global search-and-replace, and
the Springer production folks were happy.

  Almost 20 years ago when PCs were just invading business offices on a
large scale I also ran into this obsession. At that time I worked for
another consulting company. For a proposal we were submitting to a
prospective client I prepared an organizational chart using some DOS
software I had. The office manager asked me to put the block for Secretary
on the other side. I told him that I couldn't, the software did it this way.
Well, of course, corporate standards called for it to be on the other side.
The focus on minutiae rather than content amazed me. Still does.

  And, germane to the doubly-quoted text on the top of this message, a
cross-reference will correctly find the figure regardless of where it's
located.

Rich