rgheck wrote:
William R. Buckley wrote:

I noticed that when trying to browse for the graphic file of
a figure inserted into a document via the LyX user interface,
and upon trying to utilise a shortcut (as the means to more
efficiently select the proper directory that is to be browsed),
it happens that LyX copies the shortcut to the Graphics
dialog box, instead of opening the directory indicated by
the shortcut.  I believe this behavior is not what LyX
developers intend.  Rather, double-clicking on the shortcut
should result in an opening of the indicated directory.
If so, then this is a bug in Qt for Windows. Soft links work perfectly fine in Linux.

I don't think this is a bug in Qt, though arguably it's a missing feature. Shortcuts are not first-class filesystem objects in Windows. They're files that are treated in a special manner by Windows Explorer.

The real bug is that Microsoft introduced them in the first place, rather than using a proper filesystem mechanism; and the fix is to avoid them whenever possible, since they're a clumsy, half-implemented hack.

The closest analog to soft links in Windows are NTFS junctions, and they work fine with Qt and LyX, as far as I can see.

--
Michael Wojcik