On Apr 4, 2008, at 2:32 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
Bennett Helm wrote:
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Charlse Darwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
    $ which latex
    no latex in ~/WebKit/WebKitTools/Scripts /usr/local/bin
    ~/Documents/scripts/ /opt/local/bin /opt/local/sbin /usr/bin
    /usr/sbin /bin /sbin /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin
    $ port info lyx
    …
    Library Dependencies: qt4-mac, texlive, ImageMagick, python25
    $
    Am I missing latex? And if so, where do I get it from?
It certainly looks as though you're missing it. (My guess is that if you installed it via macports, it would be in /opt/local somewhere. It used to be in /opt/local/teTeX/bin, but maybe with a switch to TeXlive, that's changed to -- guessing here -- /opt/local/ texlive/bin. If so, it looks as though macports failed to set up your paths properly.)

Sorry I haven't had time to reply earlier, folks. This is what I get:

% which latex
/opt/local/bin/latex
% port provides /opt/local/bin/latex
/opt/local/bin/latex is provided by: texlive

$ which latex
no latex in ~/WebKit/WebKitTools/Scripts /usr/local/bin ~/Documents/ scripts/ /opt/local/bin /opt/local/sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /bin / sbin /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin

LyX does have a dependency on texlive, but it's a "special" sort of dependency. Port checks whether there is a TeX-provided binary in the PATH, and if there isn't, it installs texlive. This is to allow users to have a choice of TeX distributions (within the limitations of the current dependency engine).

Charlse, you only seem to have texlive_texmf-minimal and texlive_base installed, not texlive. Install the texlive port, using the +minimal variant if you don't want to download texlive_texmf-full.

- Josh

I think I have it installed already:

$ port installed | grep texlive
  texlive_base @2007_1 (active)
  texlive_texmf-minimal @2007_0 (active)
$

And also is it possible to use MacTex instead? If so, then how do I get rid of the texlive completely (I don't have enough space on my drive). I doubt if `port uninstall´ will do.

Charles