On Sunday 28 December 2008 11:37:47 am Stefano Franchi wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 December 2008 06:40:51 Ethan Metsger wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:48:13 -0500, Steve Litt
> > <sl...@troubleshooters.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > if you can view it online, why should you
> > > pay for the book?
> >
> > For my part, I hate reading electronic copy.  I'm willing to scan it to
> > see if the content is worth reading, but I would much rather turn to a
> > paper library than an electronic one.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Ethan
> >
> > (PS - José, I haven't forgotten the Docbook stuff--I'm pretty swamped at
> > the moment and don't expect to get out until after the holidays.)
>
> Just to add an additional data point on this rather controversial issue:
>
> There is an Italian "author" called Wu Ming (it is really a group of
> writers publishing under this name) who makes *all* of their works
> available on their web site on a Creative Common license in addition to
> publishing them in traditional format with a major Italian publishing
> house. They write fiction and are very successful, That is, they can make a
> living as writers,  are translated in several languages, etcetera.
>
> So in a sense they are providing evidence that an even more extreme
> approach than Google's is not detrimental to traditional paper-based book
> sales. In fact, just the opposite. Of course they write fiction, and the
> argument may not extend to technical publications. I am sure I would rather
> read a novel on my way to work rather than a TeX book.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stefano

Also, more and more I'm selling Ebooks, which of are read on a computer just
the same as illegally copied items.

I think the bottom line is that an author should have a choice about having
his work copied without authorization. I wanted my software packages: Umenu,
VimOutliner, HTMLslides and several others to be copied far and wide, so I
GPL'ed them. But my books are one of the ways I feed my family, and I don't
see how the presense of an identical competitive Ebook with zero cost can
possibly help the sales of my $14.95 Ebook.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US