> 3. (optional, and not so inmediate) A light-weight full-view (and
> idiot-proof as well) LyX version, (I have the name: LyteX or LyghtX!) which
> is able to edit text (and structure) of conventional LyX docs, without the
> possibility of  editing ERT or items explicitly banned by the original
> author, no need to DVIize or PDFize them (WYSIAYNTK: what you see is all you
> need to know), but with the full version control system activated. This
> software should be  completely LaTeX independent and, if possible, to have
> an alternate output system for printing a simple representation of the
> content. Citation dialogs  and any other stuff which do not need LaTeX
> should work. It doesn't seem to me something so difficoult to develop, and
> it could help in 80% of cases in some of Peter's scenarios.

This would be perfect for me!  I envision a stripped-down version of the
current LyX project, without export.  Since LyX is really close to a WYSIWYG
editor (close enough for my purposes) I could probably just send the .lyx
file to my advisor without the PDF.  The only issue would then be making
sure that I sent the images along with the .lyx file.  In fact, is there any
reason we couldn't create an installer for "LyX without LaTeX", except of
course finding the manpower to do it?

Yeah, a LyX viewer/editor without document processing back-end (and the
associated 800Mb download) would be great.

David