Vincent van Ravesteijn <v.f.vanraveste...@...> writes:

> Although I was enthusiastic when I first saw this proposal, but I do not
> think it is something that solves the problem.
>
> 1. LyX is pretty lightweight, as you don't have to install any of the
> additional stuff,
> 2. You still have to convince your coauthor to install a new program,
> 3. Your coauthor has to learn how to use LyX, while the starting point
> of this discussion was that some coauthors just want to use their own tool.

This will never save the collaborator which is stick to Word and will never try
anything else, of course. With him, we need a proper tool for handling rtf or
something similar from the pdf side. This is what this thread was about.

The idea of the lightweight LyX is to attract those people who are just one
step away from trying LyX. Just to move the entrenchment one step beyond.
On point 1. I don't refer to a lightweight LyX just in the software side, but
more on the "feel", approach side. I think the application should be more or
less the same. I started using LyX in april, 2008, and I feel that it has
already grown VERY easier, and I guess earlier versions were much harder. Why
could not the trend be the same? LyX is already simpler than Word in some
situations. Let's continue like this. Of course, program still should run as
fast as possible.
But Lightweight means: download, install it and run, as you do with - say -
Winrar or Winamp. No MikTeX or similars (uh, we're talking 90% of the time
about Windows, of course), nothing to install except the dictionary if you
want. No converters, no LaTeX. Installer doesn't even ask you. Only one small
insignificant button in the last corner of the window of LightLyX, saying
"UPGRADE TO FULL LYX".
Files should be "prepared" for being used with LyghtLyx, by checking an option
in Document -> Settings. Then you could change default settings and select what
to ban from edit/delete/add: structure, internal or external references,
branches, formulas, tables, ERT, bibliography section. Then you could even
manally select those parts of the document that you don't want to be
(unintentionally) touched.
The file could be still fully edited only by you, or perhaps by any full LyX
user, and only LightLyX would knew what not to touch.
Hope this should clarify (and resize) my original idea.

As for 2. and 3., I already pointed out these problems in
http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/Collaboration. And yes, this discussion would need a
thread by its own. But we need more opinions, and 1st of all the bad ones.