AB
I might have missed something here (I'm sorry in that case) but are
you suggesting a LyX-light version for people that does not want to
use anything but word
Paradoxically yes.

I'd say: create converters that are shipped with LyX instead!

If I may generalize a little....
The word users are of two kinds: the largest part is the one that will
never use anything but word no matte what you do. People is still
educated to learn "Word" not writing and structuring documents. It is
unfortunatly a waste of developer time to produce a LyX light version
for these people, I'm affraid.
I agree with this, I can't see any Word User installing a Lyx-Lite as a way of collaborating. And if I could, they would be the ones that I would also be able to persuade to install Lyx. There may be other reasons for a Lyx-Lite but this isn't one.

For collaboration we need a high quality converter (which I doubt is possible, given how badly Microsoft, Open Office, Pages etc do with converters) or a PDF based solution where we can enable the collaboration features of Acrobat Reader.

Graham