On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, David Hewitt wrote:

I tend to agree with Konrad. I happily wrote my dissertation in LyX and
only stumbled into LaTeX on an as-needed basis, primarily using the
Koma-script documentation, package documentation at CTAN, and the LyX
mailing list. I quite frankly don't even know the difference between LaTeX
and TeX. But, maybe I SHOULD have looked at Steve's book... will do so
now.

  My book was published by Springer-Verlag and used their svmono LaTeX
class. They have a TeXpert on staff (who had me change all \textellipsis to
\ldots; a _very_ subtle difference, but that's their standard). While I've
looked recently and briefly at The TeXbook, I found the most valuable
references were The LaTeX Companion (2nd Ed.), The LaTeX Graphics Companion
(the 2nd Ed. wasn't out then), and Guide to LaTeX (4th Ed.).

  A lot depends on how we approach our writing. I use LyX for almost all my
writing, and I accept the default classes and layouts because they were
designed by folks much more knowledgeable than I about typography, page
layout, and graphic design. Therefore, I don't futz with minor eye-candy
(IMNSHO) or other tweaks. Steve and I differ greatly on our philosophy. He
wants to design every aspect of his books, down to the character level. I
want to have great looking typeset output but I will spend my time on the
content and accept the default appearance. You pays you money, and you takes
you choice.

  However, I learned LaTeX so I could use it to produce forms that can be
read by our Optical Mark Reader (OMR) and do other fancy stuff, and after
looking (and using) at about a half-dozen different vector graphic drawing
tools, I finally settled on PSTricks for all that I do. My visuals for
presentations are done using the beamer class in LyX.

  If you're writing a book or monograph, I recommend picking a style/class
(such as memoir), making a decision about headings and footers, then spend
your time on producing outstanding content and let the class designer format
it for presentation.

Just one man's opinion,

Rich