1. I've seen your web site, Steve, and I must say it's a remarkable
body of work and a great resource!

2. I think I'm going to be closer to Rich in the ebooks I write. I'll
take the defaults whenever possible. I do a lot with the
"latex-beamer" package, but I also use the R - LyX "Sweave" interface.
But you do need to know LaTeX to figure out what's broken when you do
a "view PDF" and get a cryptic error message out of "pdftex".
Fortunately, LyX gives you a blue highlight "close" to where the
problem is.

3. I do find LyX / latex-beamer frustrating, though. Till Tantau, who
wrote "latex-beamer" and also the "pgf / tkiz" tool set, has made some
absolutely stunning lecture notes with these tools. But I can't for
the life of me figure out how to make my own presentations that
beautiful, even though I've read the manuals and looked at the code.
In any event, the tools *are* there.

4. There are instructions in the LyX documentation on how to do a
"modular" document by including sub-documents. The projects I've done
so far haven't needed that, but I'm starting a big one that will need
that.
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://www.linkedin.com/in/edborasky